Posted by : Luis Zena Oct 8, 2015
"This is a level hack of Metroid Zero Mission with a bit of other changed elements thrown in. The goal of the hack is not to completely redesign every single room, but to make a similar, yet somewhat more difficult experience than the original by changing some rooms, changing the map layout, ways to areas, locations of powerups, etc.
Notable changes that were implemented:
- starting room was changed to ship room in Crateria
- areas Kraid and Ridley where probably changed the most, followed by Norfair. Chozodia and Tourian the less.
- Gravity Suit not necessary to battle Ridley
- Most major upgrades were moved elsewhere; many minor upgrades were newly hidden as well
- Chozo hint statues no longer exist at all
- new sequence breaks, like skipping Power Grip, are possible; also Unknown Items aren’t required…
- all enemies have raised attack and hp, while also dropping less stuff; The same accounts for bosses, some of which also have other nasty surprises
- Like the original Metroid, only one of the Ice and Wave (and later Plasma) Beams can be equipped at once; collecting a certain other powerup may fix that, though
- there are other surprises as well if you can find them…
To create this, all of the following things were used:
- The original Metroid Zero Mission(U) ROM by Nintendo
- Double Helix, the Metroid Zero Mission/ Fusion editor written by Interdpth
- A patch which enables the Item Toggle feature, made by Trunaur68
- The (sadly incomplete) RAM and ROM maps of this game posted on Datacrystal, as well as several ARM Opcode sheets used for manual hex editing
- The debug-version of VBA, as well as its normal incarnation"